The news coming out of Ukraine during the past couple of weeks has been heart-wrenching. Yet, alongside the fear and tragedy, there has also been an amazing global outpouring of love and support for the brave people of Ukraine.
Like so many of you, we've been trying to find ways we can use our creativity as individuals and as a company to help ease the burden of those fighting for or displaced from their homeland. We rounded up a few ways to help that are unique to our community of quilters, stitchers, and makers, and we also kicked off a Zappy Dots fundraiser benefiting United Help Ukraine (more below about our Support for Ukraine Notions Trio).
- SOCIAL MEDIA MOVEMENTS
- Follow #QuiltersStandforUkraine and #StitchforUkraine on Instagram and Facebook.
- Directly follow Ukrainian artists, like quilter @sashasquilts and stitcher @living.on.the.rainbow. Many of these artists have digital patterns you can purchase to provide a direct line of support to them and their families. Which brings us to our next action item...
- BUY DIRECTLY FROM UKRAINIAN ARTISTS
Etsy offers an easy way to directly help Ukrainian artists and crafters. Simply search for 'Digital Files' on Etsy and then filter the location by 'Ukraine'. Here is a direct link. There's a huge variety of digital downloads for art, cross stitch patterns, fonts, and more, and the money goes directly to the business without having to manage the currently impossible logistical hurdles of shipping a physical product.
For anyone looking for Ukrainian patriotic patterns, we especially love the Rise of Freedom downloadable quilt pattern by Sasha Quilts and the Sunflower Cross Stitch Pattern PDF by Kits By SA Stitch.
- QUILT FOR A CAUSE
- This beautiful Peace For Ukraine Sunflower Quilt by Sew Can She pattern is free if you're planning to donate the quilt to a refugee family or other charitable organization.
- Quilter extraordinaire Pat Sloan is working with Aurifil thread and UNICEF to help the children of Ukraine. You can donate to her UNICEF fundraiser and download your free star block pattern here.
- Need blue and yellow fabric for your Ukrainian projects? Be sure to check out the GE Designs Hope For Ukraine Mini-Mystery Stash Builder Bundle. They are running a multi-part fundraising project to get funds to refugees for immediate assistance now, and then creating quilts to send to refugees later. You can get all the details here.
- CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL GUILD
Quilt guilds are a wonderful resource during a time of need. We have heard from one of our stores that their local guild is donating completed quilts to refugees fleeing to Poland. We encourage you to check in with your local organizations to see where your donations can be sent to provide the most impact. And if you're part of a group that doesn't know where to start, then begin by reaching out to nearby churches and the Salvation Army. You can also go online and visit Lifting Hands International, which is accepting quilt donations for their Blankets for Ukraine fundraiser.
- A ZAPPY DOTS PURCHASE WITH A PURPOSE
We created this special Support for Ukraine Notions Trio — which includes a Magnetic Needle Tin, Needle Nanny, and Scissor Fob — in support of the people and nation of Ukraine. The set's artwork features Ukraine's national flower, the Sunflower, in addition to a Ukrainian flag Needle Nanny, which also can be worn as a magnetic pin.
We are donating 100% of the profits from this Trio directly to United Help Ukraine. This volunteer-based charity was created in 2014 to support Ukrainians during the Russian invasion of Crimea through donations of medical supplies, humanitarian aid, wounded warrior missions, and awareness campaigns. Today, of course, those needs have been amplified. You can follow along with their fundraiser, shipments, and updates on their Facebook page, and donate directly there or by purchasing the Zappy Dots Support for Ukraine Notions Trio.
If you have additional creative fundraisers or resources that support the humanitarian efforts in Ukraine, please share them in the comments below. We're incredibly grateful to be part of a community that comes together with such compassion! Thank you for joining Zappy Dots in supporting our fellow friends, creators, and humans of Ukraine.